Tuesday, June 24, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO GAY PARADE 2007 -A SPECIAL TRIBUTE-

I was watching a show the other day and they were talking about the San Francisco Gay Parade...I just smiled and knew what I wanted to blog about next! (No, it is not that I don't like gay people, I know a lot of great people who happen to be gay). However, I happened to be in San Francisco last year at the time of the gay parade, and I wanted to share my experience with everyone who hasn't had the chance to see it yet!

Picture this... downtown San Francisco 2007, it was a cold day but the streets were lined with devoted parade attendees. I had traveled with James to a work conference, so I was sitting alone in my hotel room overlooking the busy streets. James had meetings to attend, so I was supposed to just hang out and relax while he was gone (when we checked in, someone asked us if we were hetro., uh...duh! I didn't think I looked that much like a "she-male", and I surely didn't think James was "femmie" in anyway-whatever-I can't imagine that happening in Idaho). I knew that the parade would pass right next to our hotel, so I thought it would be interesting to watch from my hotel room. I started to see the people gather, and even though I was all by myself, I knew I had to get down there! I could not miss out on the "photo opps." that were about to happen.
Needless to say, I was this girl from Idaho by myself surrounded by thousands of gay/not gay/and kind of gay parade goers. I felt so brave! James had no clue where I was so I was hoping I didn't get mugged, murdered and thrown in a dumpster (hey, it could happen; I see it on Law and Order all of the time). Anyway, I saw a lot of things I had never expected to see in my lifetime, some I took pictures of, and some were not appropriate for anyone to see (especially in public! I guess S.F. doesn't enforce public lewdness laws). So, I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on all of my effort!
Notice that I kept with the "rainbow theme"!
Please be sure to click on the pictures to enlarge them, so you can get the full effect!
The crowd starts gathering...
This is a news show I was watching. Yes, I took a picture of the t.v. because that girl in the red wasn't a girl, it was a guy announcer! Freaky!
Everything started out nicely-gay cheer leading squad...this is for you Pam! Then came the "Dikes on Bikes", for about 30 min., I couldn't take pictures because most of them were topless! YUCK! Most were on Harleys and Choppers in pairs, but some were on regular bikes or bicycle-built-for-two! I was laughing hysterically out loud the whole time! People started to "give me the evil eye"!
Then came this guy-I can't tell what was up with him. The balloon outfits in the background were crackin' me up! I wanted to pop them!
More balloon outfits and a lot more weirdness!
This was the start of the "leather district", which I couldn't take pictures of either because most were wearing leather chaps without underwear-lots of crack that day (and I don't only mean drugs!).
I love this sign, there were tons of them; so sad, yet so comforting!
This was the mayor of S.F., apparently he is really famous and stuff. He thought he was so cool, that's for sure!
Gay sheriff department-I took this for Travis (my sheriff brother-in-law), I thought we should start one up here! They seemed like a tight-knit group!
This was just creepy! Get a load of the guy with a HUGE snake on his shoulders! YIKES! Examine this picture closely, it has a lot of interesting features to it! (don't worry, kept nudity out!)
WHAT THE H-E-"DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS"? I just had to document this one! Don't worry, he isn't naked, just wearing gold body paint and gold speedo! HOT!
Weird! Notice our "yellow friend" is in the background too-how sweet!
I saved the best for last! I was almost rolling on the ground laughing when I saw these guys! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry! What does this even mean? Are the men barbies? Do their barbie dolls have issues? Do they need help because they like to play with barbies? What the heck?!? Notice that they did bring their barbies along for extra support THANK GOODNESS! I have a feeling that those barbies will need their own therapy and support group!
Well, I am sorry to report that I didn't get pictures of the naked guy riding a bicycle because it looked too painful to even capture on film! And I really felt bad for his bicycle seat! NASTY!
Also the naked guy running down the street wasn't in my picture album, but it will forever be burned into my "creeped out" memory bank! I felt sorry for the little kids in the crowd! Who would even?....why would someone?....what were those parents thinking?
Sorry if this is offensive to anyone! It was dang funny! I still laugh my head off thinking about it!
Disclaimer: this blog is in no way intended to offend or make fun of "normal" gay people, only THE FREAKY ONES! Heaven help them! All I can say, is that I hope and pray that they are clinically insane or really high because there is no way rational human beings would act this way in public! I can't imagine having a "proud to not be gay" parade! Can you picture the outrage?!? It is so sad!
SEE YA!

6 comments:

Hillman Family said...

Wow! I don't even know what else to write. WOW! WOW! WOW!
I knew you went to the gay parade last year, but I had no idea it was so....I don't think there is even a word to describe what that is! I would have been laughing along with you, that's for sure. But, definitely, not a kid-friendly environment. Did they throw candy? hehehe!

Karli said...

hey amber i added you to my blog!! i cant believe i figured it out!! you have a very cute blog make sure you check out mine love ya!!!!

Karri said...

What the Hay! What an experience. I must say you are pretty darn brave. I had no idea there were so many!

Pamcakes said...

I have nothing else to say besides the fact that I am very proud to call you my friend right now. I love all the gayness, it cracked me up.

Sandy N said...

Amber- I found your blog through Kerri's blog. You made me laugh (parade post) it is great to read your blog and read what is going on in your life. How is Chris? Tellhim hello for me.
Sandy

Michelle said...

oh my heck! This made me laugh out loud so much. What a scary experience. That is so entertaing. I could not even imagine having that kind of life. Crazy... Thanks for sharing your creepy experience. I enjoyed it very much