Friday, October 28, 2011

Volunteering is fun to do, fun to do, to do, to do...

Recently I took on a new project of being a volunteer at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center as a member on a Patient and Family Advisory Council.   I get to go meet with other patients and family along with hospital staff and administrators and we talk about ways to improve patient care.

Because of my "gift of gab" and gullibility I volunteer to do the craziest things.  In August the hospital had a "Town Hall Meeting" for all 1300 workers to attend and listen to a few speakers and guess who said "yes" to being a speaker?  Yup...yours truly!  I don't even want to talk at church let alone in front of that many people who include all of James' bosses.  I thought I would be an idiot and get him fired for sure!  I had about a month and several dry runs to practice and I actually had it memorized!  I was so proud of myself.  I didn't do too bad either...well compared to what I saw happening in my mind and nightmares at night!

Yesterday I did it again!  I said yes when I was asked to speak to all of the directors at the hospital about the important role of nurses.  I have to speak to all of the directors and CEO people at the hospital, including James.  Maybe they will feel sorry for him when they see what a crazy wife he has to live with!  Ha Ha!  At least give him a raise to pay for my crazy pills.

I find it very therapeutic to turn a terrible ordeal with Averi into something that may help other families.  The coolest thing is that James' bosses listen to everything I say and actually do the things we suggest!  It is awesome!  What a power trip!  Just kidding (kind of). 

Averi on the day they were going to turn off her life support


Such a cute pic. of when Ave could still see us.
Daddy and Ave


Poor little bald Chemotherapy baby! OH!  Silky is in her hand!
One of MANY silkies!!!

In a 5 month coma. With a BAD rash from Bone Marrow Transplant.  Silky by her head. 

The first time in months I got to hold Averi

Thanksgiving a few weeks before we found out Ave was sick.  This was a very rare smile!

Not my best look...I can tell I had some pain meds in my blood-I have crazy eyes!

Look at these two!  Like little twins!

My girls!  Taylor has been Ave's best friend from this moment on

My little helper buddy! 

Happy all of the time Averi!  She loves life!









Do I have gullible written on my forehead!?!  NOOOOO!!!!!!  I do have dark circles under my eyes though...yikes!

7 comments:

The WIlloughby Family said...

I love your post!!! Made me a little sad, but good to see little Averi and remind me how luck we are she is in our family!!!! I look back and feel bad that I made those pics into a scrapbook for you. So, sorry for my pre-stupidity! Love ya!

amber and james said...

I LOVE MY SCRAPBOOK!!! It was such a precious and thoughtful gift! You are the best! I am so lucky to have a sister like you.
Love ya back!

Barb said...

Hi Amber!

Oh, I love this post . . . even though it is always so hard for me to look at these pictures of our sweet Averi! I just love her so much, and I feel so grateful and blessed to have her in our life. I almost cried when I saw the picture of Taylor Jo holding Averi - that she always pulls at grandma's heart strings... :0)

I remember how strong and diligent you were throughout that trial in your life - always my hero!!

You truly are the perfect person to talk to the staff at the hospital about how to treat the patient and the caregiver!! They are so lucky to have you on their volunteer board!

Hugs and Love,
Mom

Jami said...

Wow...I still can't believe that I met your sweet Averi almost 9 years ago. I remember the first night I took care of her like it was yesterday. (I definitely remember the silkies!) What a miracle she is! I can't think of anyone better to volunteer for this role. After all, you endured 5 months in a windowless room of the PICU and lived to tell about it! ;-) Love you guys!

LeAnn said...

Oh my goodness; I am smiling and so happy. Your post was so darn cute. I love you sense of humor; you are the best.
Loved the pictures but Averi's hospital ones brought some tears. You are so beautiful and so all of your sweet adorable children and of course James too.
Love you much and thanks for the smiles!!

Kam said...

yay! I'm so glad to see you're blogging again. How cool that you're a volunteer, and that you get to speak. I bet you're GREAT at it -- very persuasive and entertaining, too! Wish I could come listen. These pictures of Averi are sweet but sad. The last one is precious... so grown up and darling!

Jason and Kerri Allen said...

Amber - I am so happy you are getting these speaking gigs. You are so fun to listen to. I miss you like crazy and I love looking at these pictures of the kids from way back. Your experiences have made you so qualified to help others. I agree with your mom. You are a hero! I adore you!